As high achieving women business owners, we seem to have a plan for everything — the business, the weekend, the vacation, the house, and the social calendar.
Do you have a conscious plan for renewal and restoration? Top notch racers have a pit crew. Who makes up your pit crew? What makes up your “rest day” regimen?
Most of us only pay attention to our bodies when something is wrong. Then we go to the doctor, drug store, or maybe even the holistic practitioner to cure what ails us. Then it is back to the grind until something else in our system “complains”.
The way I see it is our bodies, minds, and spirits need preventative maintenance and tuning as much as (if not moreso) than our cars. It is impossible to be optimally effective and creative in our businesses if our bodies are out of whack. Think about when your mind is over-full and you are not feeling your best. How “on your game” are you that day? Not very. You skip the sales calls, put away the creative project, delay the marketing, and slog through any appointments you have. You do what must be done as best you can and look forward to the day being over.
On the inside, you feel less positive about your business and maybe even get down on yourself. You wonder who would want to pay you for what you do? How are you ever going to make this business work? (Note: these same thoughts can plague the six and seven figure business owner just as much as the newbie. The difference is their awareness and positive response is triggered faster).
So, what are some practical ways to renew and restore your peak performance without having to take the next three months off?
- Get a massage
- Receive some energy work
- Take a technology-free day (I recommend this regularly)
- Create quiet time for reflection, contemplation, prayer, meditation every morning (even 10-15 minutes is a godsend)
- Honor a wind-down routine each night before bed
- Get at least 7 hours of sleep at night.
- Move your body
- Get up from your desk at least every 60-90 minutes and walk around
- Hydrate – hydrate – hydrate (drink ½ your body weight in ounces of water each day)
- Eat whole, nourishing foods
- Limit alcohol (only enjoy when you can savor fully and in moderation).
- Do some yoga
- Exercise – do some cardio, lift some weights, whatever activity you enjoy
- Limit/eliminate caffeine to avoid the burned out feeling
- Watch a movie (ideally light and funny)
- Listen to music
- Attend a theatrical, musical, or other live production just for fun
- Walk your dog (or neighbor’s dog)
- Play with or pet your cat (or other furry pet)
- Watch the fish swim in an aquarium
- Read a book (NOT business related!)
- Get out into nature (hike, paddle, sit, watch the birds at the feeder, garden)
- Make a relaxing cup of tea (or your favorite beverage) and just sit, sip, savor
- Visit with a friend
- Call a friend of loved one
- Snuggle with your lover
- Perform a random act of kindness
- Send a handwritten card to someone (giving them a boost too)
- Daydream by staring aimlessly into space or out the window
- Engage in a hobby you love that has nothing to do with your “day job”
Which one of these are you going to do today?
One of your favorites not on the list? Let me know what they are by posting a comment!
Want more time to rest, relax, and rejuvenate? I can help you create a schedule and systems in your business that free you up to make more money and take more time off. Contact me today to learn more (no strings attached!).
Want to Stop Running Like a Hamster on a Wheel Trying to Do it All?
A healthy business empowers you to make more money, keep more of the money you make, and create a quality life that has you feeling free.
Get the Freedom & Profit Checklist free right now and learn how to make your business thrive in less time than it takes to make and drink a cup of coffee.